Skip to main content

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins

One of the greatest fears that most people have about eating healthy is that famous saying:

"If it tastes good it is bad for you, spit it out!" also "Eating healthy is expensive!"

...And that is the biggest pile of poo I have ever heard. Everything  I cook is delicious and well worth sharing. I also have a mere $200-250 grocery budget for 3..and we make due each month! So I will share some of my favorite recipes here and there, as well as my favorite markets to buy cheap and affordable food!

This is my all time favorite (and Scarletts) dessert recipe! Enjoy!

WHOLE WHEAT APPLE MUFFINS 
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour, divided
1 1/2 c. peeled, chopped Golden Delicious apple
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. skim milk
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
Vegetable cooking spray


Combine 1/2 cup all purpose flour and apple in a bowl, tossing gently to coat; set aside. Combine remaining cup all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and next 4 ingredients in a bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, oil, and egg whites in a bowl; stir well. Add milk mixture and apple mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spoon batter into muffin pans coated with vegetable cooking spray, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove muffins from pans; let cool on a wire rack. Yields 1 dozen (about 149 calories each).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chobani, Bondi Bands, Allergies ...Oh My!

So recently I have had the amazing privilege and joy of trying out a couple of awesome products. I cannot wait to share either! GIVEAWAY TIME! I received a case of Chobani Flips to review...and as we all know yogurt is a staple in most healthy diets...especially mine. I have been a Chobani nut for over a year now. It is one of my favorite and most filling snacks, not to mention the protein ! It is a quick and easy breakfast if needed, or an awesome post-workout snack. And now that it is summertime it is super refreshing on a hot summer day! There were so many yummy types to try...and I could not wait to dig in! There were two of each, so 12 in total! They are fair in calories, low in sugar, and taste great. The day I got the case I did a little jig, and then hunted down a spoon. The first flip I sampled was the Almond Coco Loco ...                           IT WAS DIVINE!!!...and my favorite! Se...

Polka Dot Grins

I have a little white polka dot keepsake box. I found it at Beall's Outlet , and it only cost $3.99. It was a great bargain, and it is absolutely adorable. Yet, it is a confusing little polka dot box. Full of some of the most cherished, loved, prized memories...and full of some of the most indescribably painful, horrible, unforgettable pain. It's a cute white box with gold polka dots on the outside, and a light pink interior. It has a gold bow on the front. It makes a beautiful dust collector that now resides on top of my dresser, taking precedence over makeup and hair accessories. It sat there empty for a few days before I decided to use it for the purpose in which I bought it; to store some of my most precious keepsakes. Inside are the few items that I get to hold in place of my nephew. The few physical possessions that remind me that he really did exist. That he was more than just a victim. That he was a little pain in the rear while incubating. That he spent the first n...

One Year Later- No Less Heartache

Every time I have started working on the one year anniversary blog about John's death I back space it away. I just can't put into words what it is I would like to say. So I've decided to just let it all flow freely, and whatever comes out this time, stays...please forgive my rambling... I miss him. So much. You know the saying "you miss them so much it hurts". It's true. I miss him so much it hurts. It has hurt since September 5th 2016. It hurts just as much now as it did then. I know people say time heals, and it will get easier, but it doesn't. I move along in my life, yes, but I find myself stuck in a cold PICU room often. I can literally walk myself down the hall at Monroe Regional in my mind. My dad standing there in the corner of the hospital all alone. My mom puffy eyed from crying, coming out of the double doors. John being pushed through on a gurney to his helicopter flight. So many wires. So many devices being used to keep his frail and broke...