Skip to main content

My Eating Disorder

My battle with food is a battle I will fight for the rest of my life. I know this. I hate this. But I can win at this.

I traded one eating disorder for another it seems. I went from overeating and eating my feelings, to obsessing over calories. MyFitnessPal helped me to lose weight. But I realize just how much calorie counting has consumed my life. So I am deleting MFP. I refuse to fall victim to a life of calorie obsessing.  These questions have plagued me daily for several years now:

What my intake should be?
How much did I burn?
Does it fit my macros?
Should I eat back my burned calories?
What is the calories in this bite?
Will I have enough for a small dessert?
Will this blow my daily sugar/salt/fat?

It is an endless bombardment of obsession over calories! I am done!
I don't want food to run the rest of my life. I want to enjoy food without fear. But also respect my body to only give it what it needs, with the occasional treat on the side.

I have decided I am going to follow the food pyramid. Keep track of my servings not the calories. Make sure that I get my 2 cups of health dairy and my daily dose of healthy fats. Cut out as much refined sugar and starch as possible without completely denying myself anything.  Have a half a plate of veggies,  and  a quarter lean protein and a quarter starch. 
I have been at this for two days now. It's hard. I still flip every package over and look at the calorie content.  I know it will take time.

But I know this will be good for me.

Comments

  1. It takes a lot of courage to post something like this and I want to commend you for your time and effort. I know a lot of younger women who would benefit from reading this as well so I will be sure to pass it along. Food shouldn't be something that should cause as much strife as it does. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying food again.

    Margaretta Cloutier @ Aspire Wellness Center

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaretta! It is a daily fight, but so far I am down 24 pounds, and winning...without the obsession!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chobani, Bondi Bands, Allergies ...Oh My!

So recently I have had the amazing privilege and joy of trying out a couple of awesome products. I cannot wait to share either! GIVEAWAY TIME! I received a case of Chobani Flips to review...and as we all know yogurt is a staple in most healthy diets...especially mine. I have been a Chobani nut for over a year now. It is one of my favorite and most filling snacks, not to mention the protein ! It is a quick and easy breakfast if needed, or an awesome post-workout snack. And now that it is summertime it is super refreshing on a hot summer day! There were so many yummy types to try...and I could not wait to dig in! There were two of each, so 12 in total! They are fair in calories, low in sugar, and taste great. The day I got the case I did a little jig, and then hunted down a spoon. The first flip I sampled was the Almond Coco Loco ...                           IT WAS DIVINE!!!...and my favorite! Se...

Polka Dot Grins

I have a little white polka dot keepsake box. I found it at Beall's Outlet , and it only cost $3.99. It was a great bargain, and it is absolutely adorable. Yet, it is a confusing little polka dot box. Full of some of the most cherished, loved, prized memories...and full of some of the most indescribably painful, horrible, unforgettable pain. It's a cute white box with gold polka dots on the outside, and a light pink interior. It has a gold bow on the front. It makes a beautiful dust collector that now resides on top of my dresser, taking precedence over makeup and hair accessories. It sat there empty for a few days before I decided to use it for the purpose in which I bought it; to store some of my most precious keepsakes. Inside are the few items that I get to hold in place of my nephew. The few physical possessions that remind me that he really did exist. That he was more than just a victim. That he was a little pain in the rear while incubating. That he spent the first n...

One Year Later- No Less Heartache

Every time I have started working on the one year anniversary blog about John's death I back space it away. I just can't put into words what it is I would like to say. So I've decided to just let it all flow freely, and whatever comes out this time, stays...please forgive my rambling... I miss him. So much. You know the saying "you miss them so much it hurts". It's true. I miss him so much it hurts. It has hurt since September 5th 2016. It hurts just as much now as it did then. I know people say time heals, and it will get easier, but it doesn't. I move along in my life, yes, but I find myself stuck in a cold PICU room often. I can literally walk myself down the hall at Monroe Regional in my mind. My dad standing there in the corner of the hospital all alone. My mom puffy eyed from crying, coming out of the double doors. John being pushed through on a gurney to his helicopter flight. So many wires. So many devices being used to keep his frail and broke...