Skip to main content

Here's My Excuse Maria!

So a while back there was a mother of three young boys that posted a picture of herself, a very fit self, and captioned "What's your excuse?" And it has stirred up a heck of a lot of dust.

I was watching Access Hollywood and they had her on there, this Maria, and another woman that owns a plus size lingerie boutique (she is plus size) and her name is Crystal. Crystal launched a campaign against Maria for plus size and real women to post pictures of themselves in lingerie to demonstrate what real, unphotoshopped women look like. And to help women embrace their beauty at any size. They were debating or discussing each others message. Crystal calling Maria a fat shamer and bully, and Maria repeatedly bringing up the obesity epidemic and essentially telling these women that shared their photos they are fat.

At first I didn't see anything wrong with the message Maria was originally trying to convey, but now that I've heard her speak on the issue....I have changed my mind. She is a bully. Plain and simple. Yes..she lost some weight (approximately 15 pounds) and I congratulate her...and has had 3 children one after the other...but she has never been extremely over weight or obese (which she pointedly reminded Crystal that she was). So she has no idea the work, both mental and physical that comes with losing massive amounts of weight and the after effects that comes with that loss either.

So who is she to tell other people they're making excuses? Is she the fat police? Did I miss that memo that gives her that right? That's my scales job, not hers.

If I could train multiple hours a day, had a nanny, and a lot more money...I'd be in much better shape too. But I don't. So Maria here is my excuse...

1) I eat healthy...when I have 5 minutes to do so and when my toddler doesn't  demand I share.
2) I love to run and love to hit the weights, but I love extra snuggles in the morning with my loves more.
3) I have Photoshop but my man tells me how beautiful I am...so I never use it. My camera is used to snap memories of my family.
4) I still have baby weight to lose...but my son is only 7 weeks old. I don't want to miss any milestones while cramming a 3 hour gym sesh.
5) I could go around being ashamed that I am a little over weight, and Lord knows there are plenty of people like you reminding me, but I love myself. I love the extra pudge on my belly and thighs I got from carrying my two biggest accomplishments. I love the stretch marks I earned from them as well. I'm okay with the fact that I can't afford a boob  job and my tits hang a little lower from feeding those precious beings. I can live with myself not having six pack abs...I've lived my whole life without them. I enjoy being pale, spray tans are too expensive. And if I can't afford that...I darn sure can't afford that personal training program you want me to buy. And if you don't like the way we look...then don't look at us.

Yes I agree with her, there is an obesity crisis and we do not need to accept its okay. But making people feel bad about themselves won't fix it either. Helping people love themselves will. We have to stop judging people by their size. I'm chunky, but I'm plenty active. Being overweight shouldn't be associated with laziness. Its not always the case. We have to stop labeling one another and instead encourage each other to be the best us.  We see enough pictures of perfectly fit photoshopped  models everyday on tv, in magazines, on bill boards...we don't need to be bombarded by these pictures with  a belittling message plastered on it as well.

Women come in all shapes and sizes...and its no ones business but their own if they want to change the way they look. Don't push your lifestyle on others.

So Maria, you can criticise me for making excuses and having a few extra pounds to lose until you're blue in the face but I love who I am, and I'm going to go enjoy a cookie with my kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings Never Change

It has been almost 2 years since we held you last. The reality hit me like a truck this afternoon... I miss you just as much right now as I did 2 years ago. My body aches to feel you again. To see your smile. To kiss your fat face. They ache just as strongly now as they did 2 years ago. The pain hasn't lessened, the longing hasn't passed...and I still think it is not fair that I can't leave work and pick you up for a fun filled weekend. Time hasn't healed any of our wounds. They still seep with longing, pain, and emptiness. I can still envision the nightmare facing us at the end of the hallway at the hospital. Your tiny frame in a massive bed hooked to so many life saving devices. The incredible high of hearing your heart was beating; they'd revived you. Thinking there was a chance; only to be told that there wasn't. She had hurt you more than they could fix. That incredible low of knowing you wouldn't get to go home with us ever again. I can s

Tax (Heart) Break

It's tax season again, and I sat down tonight and began working on my taxes. As I was working through the dependents questions, one hit me right in the heart. The question asks if you had a child die the year before. You don't give that question much thought if you have never been to a child's funeral. That question made me stop and think about how fortunate I am to select no. And how not all of us are quite so lucky. The guilt that ate as me, when I selected no, knowing that a year ago my sister had to select yes. It has been almost a year since Nora was arrested for the 1st Degree murder of my nephew John. If you know us, you know all too well what happened to our baby. If not, you can scan back through several of my other blogs and get a pretty good representation of the nightmare our family has been living in. Photo Courtesy - MichelleRusell.com It's hard to not think about Nora. I have a very vivid imagination, and when I see her face in mugshots I pictur

One Year Later- No Less Heartache

Every time I have started working on the one year anniversary blog about John's death I back space it away. I just can't put into words what it is I would like to say. So I've decided to just let it all flow freely, and whatever comes out this time, stays...please forgive my rambling... I miss him. So much. You know the saying "you miss them so much it hurts". It's true. I miss him so much it hurts. It has hurt since September 5th 2016. It hurts just as much now as it did then. I know people say time heals, and it will get easier, but it doesn't. I move along in my life, yes, but I find myself stuck in a cold PICU room often. I can literally walk myself down the hall at Monroe Regional in my mind. My dad standing there in the corner of the hospital all alone. My mom puffy eyed from crying, coming out of the double doors. John being pushed through on a gurney to his helicopter flight. So many wires. So many devices being used to keep his frail and broke