Skip to main content

To The Stay At Home Mom Griping About Stay At Home Moms

I love being a stay at home mom. Let's start with that.

I love caring for and chasing my two toddlers all day, and caring for and loving my hard working man when he gets home, but that doesn't mean I can't yell to the high heavens or moan and groan all day if I want about the responsibilities I have as a stay at home mom (SAHM).

I read a blog post yesterday from a SAHM who pretty much told all other SAHM to shove it and she was tired of reading about all the "jobs" we partake in and chores we don't get done. Well I'm telling her to go eat some dirt!

We have one of the most difficult jobs in the world. And I'm not talking about cleaning house, being a chauffeur or wiping butts. I'm talking about taking the minds and hearts of little people and helping mold them so that they will be productive beings one day that contribute to society instead of making it worse. 

We have to love them unconditionally even when they have drug every egg out of the carton and smashed it on the floor and mixed it with some corn starch. We have to educate them in manners. Teach them that laughing at a fart is okay at home, but not so much at a restaurant. We have to teach them that laying in the floor at Wal-Mart while screaming their heads off over barbie or cookies not only embarrasses us to no end, but comes with consequences. We have to clean poop off the floor, toilet,  bathroom rug, wall, and child when they have had an accident and try to cover it up. We have to brave opening and washing the baby bottle that rolled under the seat in the car over a month ago. We have to crawl out of bed at all hours to battle the boogy man, or feed a hungry little monster.  We have to try and read the electric bill that has been scribbled all over by a two year old. We have to help them learn to tie their shoes, go to the bathroom, count, read, write, clean their rooms, speak, color, and all of the other milestones that come with every child. But most importantly we have to be there for them around the clock, never for a minute putting ourselves first. Being at SAHM is the most rewarding and difficult job in the world. That is why we are a rare breed.

That in itself is a full time job. I work that job every day from 8:30 am to 8:00 pm. That is a twelve hour day times two.


Now let's take into account the meals I have to prepare, the laundry I have to sort, wash, dry, fold and put away, the countless times I pick up toys, vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, changing diapers, changing clothes, baths, scrubbing, dishes, bed changes, trips out to play in the yard, walks around the neighborhood, letting dogs in and out, chasing them down when the kids leave the gate open, running the trash to the dump, mowing the yard, doing household repairs, running to doctors appointments, to the grocery store...let's just say there are not enough hours in my day. And 10% of the time I am lucky to brush my hair and take a shower.

So yeah, if I want to bitch about the fact that I haven't worn a shirt without kid spills on it or that I haven't had a hair cut in 6 months then I believe I am entitled to do so. I work my ass off day in and day out to ensure that my family is taken very well care of. If my only outlet is a rant on my blog or to post a SAHM  meme on Facebook, then back off and let me rant, or face the wrath of an exhausted and highly irritated SAHM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings Never Change

It has been almost 2 years since we held you last. The reality hit me like a truck this afternoon... I miss you just as much right now as I did 2 years ago. My body aches to feel you again. To see your smile. To kiss your fat face. They ache just as strongly now as they did 2 years ago. The pain hasn't lessened, the longing hasn't passed...and I still think it is not fair that I can't leave work and pick you up for a fun filled weekend. Time hasn't healed any of our wounds. They still seep with longing, pain, and emptiness. I can still envision the nightmare facing us at the end of the hallway at the hospital. Your tiny frame in a massive bed hooked to so many life saving devices. The incredible high of hearing your heart was beating; they'd revived you. Thinking there was a chance; only to be told that there wasn't. She had hurt you more than they could fix. That incredible low of knowing you wouldn't get to go home with us ever again. I can s

Tax (Heart) Break

It's tax season again, and I sat down tonight and began working on my taxes. As I was working through the dependents questions, one hit me right in the heart. The question asks if you had a child die the year before. You don't give that question much thought if you have never been to a child's funeral. That question made me stop and think about how fortunate I am to select no. And how not all of us are quite so lucky. The guilt that ate as me, when I selected no, knowing that a year ago my sister had to select yes. It has been almost a year since Nora was arrested for the 1st Degree murder of my nephew John. If you know us, you know all too well what happened to our baby. If not, you can scan back through several of my other blogs and get a pretty good representation of the nightmare our family has been living in. Photo Courtesy - MichelleRusell.com It's hard to not think about Nora. I have a very vivid imagination, and when I see her face in mugshots I pictur

One Year Later- No Less Heartache

Every time I have started working on the one year anniversary blog about John's death I back space it away. I just can't put into words what it is I would like to say. So I've decided to just let it all flow freely, and whatever comes out this time, stays...please forgive my rambling... I miss him. So much. You know the saying "you miss them so much it hurts". It's true. I miss him so much it hurts. It has hurt since September 5th 2016. It hurts just as much now as it did then. I know people say time heals, and it will get easier, but it doesn't. I move along in my life, yes, but I find myself stuck in a cold PICU room often. I can literally walk myself down the hall at Monroe Regional in my mind. My dad standing there in the corner of the hospital all alone. My mom puffy eyed from crying, coming out of the double doors. John being pushed through on a gurney to his helicopter flight. So many wires. So many devices being used to keep his frail and broke