Skip to main content

Week One: They Survived

Sunday marks one week since the fire at Wood-B-Ranch in Reddick, Fl that completely engulfed Rich and Melanie's home. They lost everything, as you can read and see here. Everyone made it out alive and unharmed, except a beloved dog, Abby.



The heartache is still unbearable as we continue to dig through the rubble, but there is still so much hope.



They have learned that the walls of the home are reusable, and Rich and Melanie are determined to rebuild. It was their home. It is their home. And they will have it again. I have heard talk of floor plans and things that they are going to do differently this time around, and that is exciting!

As exciting as that is, they will need help financially.

They were self insured, but they never imagined that this would happen, and their savings won't cover the repairs and rebuild. They had no homeowners insurance.

They won't get a payout for this.

Right now though, the main concern is getting everything cleaned out of the house, getting the garage and breezeway tore down, and hauling it all away.

The guys have been busy and have cleared out the garage. They have also started to demo the block, and hope to have it completely cleared by the weekend. Then the next item on the list is getting the old roof off and out of the house. And then...removing the piles of sludge and ash.



So much has happened it is difficult to process it all.

Even though it is devastating, Rich and Melanie are hopeful. They are starting to see a little light at the end of this dark tunnel. It has been a long and emotional week...and everyone is so very tired. But we are going to push on. Rich and Melanie need us all, and if you can't be here in person at least be there for them in spirit and prayers.

Should you have an extra bit of money...stop by the gofundme and donate. It is beyond appreciated!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings Never Change

It has been almost 2 years since we held you last. The reality hit me like a truck this afternoon... I miss you just as much right now as I did 2 years ago. My body aches to feel you again. To see your smile. To kiss your fat face. They ache just as strongly now as they did 2 years ago. The pain hasn't lessened, the longing hasn't passed...and I still think it is not fair that I can't leave work and pick you up for a fun filled weekend. Time hasn't healed any of our wounds. They still seep with longing, pain, and emptiness. I can still envision the nightmare facing us at the end of the hallway at the hospital. Your tiny frame in a massive bed hooked to so many life saving devices. The incredible high of hearing your heart was beating; they'd revived you. Thinking there was a chance; only to be told that there wasn't. She had hurt you more than they could fix. That incredible low of knowing you wouldn't get to go home with us ever again. I can s

Chobani, Bondi Bands, Allergies ...Oh My!

So recently I have had the amazing privilege and joy of trying out a couple of awesome products. I cannot wait to share either! GIVEAWAY TIME! I received a case of Chobani Flips to review...and as we all know yogurt is a staple in most healthy diets...especially mine. I have been a Chobani nut for over a year now. It is one of my favorite and most filling snacks, not to mention the protein ! It is a quick and easy breakfast if needed, or an awesome post-workout snack. And now that it is summertime it is super refreshing on a hot summer day! There were so many yummy types to try...and I could not wait to dig in! There were two of each, so 12 in total! They are fair in calories, low in sugar, and taste great. The day I got the case I did a little jig, and then hunted down a spoon. The first flip I sampled was the Almond Coco Loco ...                           IT WAS DIVINE!!!...and my favorite! Second to that was the Key Lime Crumble ! I have eaten all of them but

Tax (Heart) Break

It's tax season again, and I sat down tonight and began working on my taxes. As I was working through the dependents questions, one hit me right in the heart. The question asks if you had a child die the year before. You don't give that question much thought if you have never been to a child's funeral. That question made me stop and think about how fortunate I am to select no. And how not all of us are quite so lucky. The guilt that ate as me, when I selected no, knowing that a year ago my sister had to select yes. It has been almost a year since Nora was arrested for the 1st Degree murder of my nephew John. If you know us, you know all too well what happened to our baby. If not, you can scan back through several of my other blogs and get a pretty good representation of the nightmare our family has been living in. Photo Courtesy - MichelleRusell.com It's hard to not think about Nora. I have a very vivid imagination, and when I see her face in mugshots I pictur