Skip to main content

Counting the Stars

Yesterday marked the 2 month anniversary since John passed away.

That is eight weeks since we held him last...

           ...60 days since we saw him last...

              ...1,464 hours since we had our last kiss...

                 ...87,840 minutes since we held you close...

                    ...5,270,400 seconds of complete and utter heart break.


It feels like an eternity. It is all still so unreal.

I spent the day with Angela yesterday, just she and I. It was a really nice day considering where we have landed in life. We had a wonderful lunch together, did a ton of laundry, and just enjoyed each other's company. Angela lives with our parents, and they decided to go on a day trip, leaving her home alone yesterday. She is fine to be alone, but no one realized that it was the 2 month anniversary.

It just happened that my dryer was broke. I was too cheap to go to the laundromat, and so I went to Mom's instead to do laundry. I was meant to be there. I loved that we got to have that day. Things have been so unbelievable crazy and hard these last couple of months. It feels like we start to get somewhere in life again, and then something else comes along to take our feet out from under us. So I think yesterday was the universe telling me to slow down, spend time with my sister, and love on our baby.

We talked about him so much yesterday it hurts. But it was a good hurt. They were good and happy memories. We laughed about how his little fat self used to come boot scootin' out of his bedroom with a blankie and sucking his thumb, ready to be scooped up and loved on until nap time. Mommy always gave the best cuddles. He would bypass everyone for Mommy. If Mommy wasn't around it was Grammy.

This was one of the last pictures Angela took of John. He was telling her all about it! 
Notice those two little toofer pegs that had just popped up!

We joked about how he would get mad when he would toddle. He was just getting around good. Taking his first big brave steps. When he would tumble he would get so mad! Or how the morning after Dustin and I kept him for the first time I scooped him up to snuggle in bed with us, and when Dustin rolled over and said "Hey boy", John hollered like he had been pinched! John was used to cuddling in bed with Mommy, but there were no baritone fellows rolling over scaring that patootie out of him! He did not like that one bit!

Needless to say, my heart hurts today. Today more than any day I feel that ache Virginia described. That one where your arms physically long to hold him. Ache to pull him close. Your lips quiver thinking about planting another little kiss on his chubby face. You fingers itch to trace every roll. Every ounce of your being aches to have that baby again.

When I have days like this, I resort back to thinking about Angela. If I feel this heartbroken and sad...how does she feel?

I can barely put into words most days how hard it is for us, let alone Angela. That's why I plead with you to keep her in your thoughts, your prayers, whatever it is you do when you seek comfort for those that are hurting. She needs your encouragement and kindness now more than ever.

The hard days are not even upon us yet.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings Never Change

It has been almost 2 years since we held you last. The reality hit me like a truck this afternoon... I miss you just as much right now as I did 2 years ago. My body aches to feel you again. To see your smile. To kiss your fat face. They ache just as strongly now as they did 2 years ago. The pain hasn't lessened, the longing hasn't passed...and I still think it is not fair that I can't leave work and pick you up for a fun filled weekend. Time hasn't healed any of our wounds. They still seep with longing, pain, and emptiness. I can still envision the nightmare facing us at the end of the hallway at the hospital. Your tiny frame in a massive bed hooked to so many life saving devices. The incredible high of hearing your heart was beating; they'd revived you. Thinking there was a chance; only to be told that there wasn't. She had hurt you more than they could fix. That incredible low of knowing you wouldn't get to go home with us ever again. I can s

Chobani, Bondi Bands, Allergies ...Oh My!

So recently I have had the amazing privilege and joy of trying out a couple of awesome products. I cannot wait to share either! GIVEAWAY TIME! I received a case of Chobani Flips to review...and as we all know yogurt is a staple in most healthy diets...especially mine. I have been a Chobani nut for over a year now. It is one of my favorite and most filling snacks, not to mention the protein ! It is a quick and easy breakfast if needed, or an awesome post-workout snack. And now that it is summertime it is super refreshing on a hot summer day! There were so many yummy types to try...and I could not wait to dig in! There were two of each, so 12 in total! They are fair in calories, low in sugar, and taste great. The day I got the case I did a little jig, and then hunted down a spoon. The first flip I sampled was the Almond Coco Loco ...                           IT WAS DIVINE!!!...and my favorite! Second to that was the Key Lime Crumble ! I have eaten all of them but

Tax (Heart) Break

It's tax season again, and I sat down tonight and began working on my taxes. As I was working through the dependents questions, one hit me right in the heart. The question asks if you had a child die the year before. You don't give that question much thought if you have never been to a child's funeral. That question made me stop and think about how fortunate I am to select no. And how not all of us are quite so lucky. The guilt that ate as me, when I selected no, knowing that a year ago my sister had to select yes. It has been almost a year since Nora was arrested for the 1st Degree murder of my nephew John. If you know us, you know all too well what happened to our baby. If not, you can scan back through several of my other blogs and get a pretty good representation of the nightmare our family has been living in. Photo Courtesy - MichelleRusell.com It's hard to not think about Nora. I have a very vivid imagination, and when I see her face in mugshots I pictur