Skip to main content

Counting Calories Burned

When trying to lose weight you need to keep in mind that in order to lose one pounds week you must have a 3500 calorie deficit, in other words you need to burn or eat 3500 calories less than you do now to lose that pound. It's recommended that you lose only 1-2 pounds a well for health purposes as well as preventing lose skin.
There are different ways to reach this deficit, either cut you calories you are consuming by 500 a day, or burn 500 calories a day through exercise. Some people cut their intake by 250 calories and burn the other 250 through exercise. I went with cutting it out of my intake, all 500.
The first thing you need to do is find out what your BMR is. BMR is basic metabolic rate or the amount of calories your body needs in order to survive. I have provided a link to a BMR calculator. You then need to find you TDEE TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure or the amount of calories you burn with everyday activities. Eating below your TDEE but above your BMR will result in weight loss.
For example:
My TDEE is 2475-20%=1980
My BMR is 1680
Therefore if I eat 1980 calories a day, and exercise 3-5 days a week I will lose a steady 1-2 pounds a week.

For each 10 pounds you lose you need to recalculate your TDEE. However never eat below 1200 calories..that is dangerous.
If you plan to exercise for your deficit each day then I highly recommend investing in a good heart rate monitor, one that tracks your calories burned. If you can't afford to do that then average your heart rate during exercise and use this equation to find your burn. It is very accurate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings Never Change

It has been almost 2 years since we held you last. The reality hit me like a truck this afternoon... I miss you just as much right now as I did 2 years ago. My body aches to feel you again. To see your smile. To kiss your fat face. They ache just as strongly now as they did 2 years ago. The pain hasn't lessened, the longing hasn't passed...and I still think it is not fair that I can't leave work and pick you up for a fun filled weekend. Time hasn't healed any of our wounds. They still seep with longing, pain, and emptiness. I can still envision the nightmare facing us at the end of the hallway at the hospital. Your tiny frame in a massive bed hooked to so many life saving devices. The incredible high of hearing your heart was beating; they'd revived you. Thinking there was a chance; only to be told that there wasn't. She had hurt you more than they could fix. That incredible low of knowing you wouldn't get to go home with us ever again. I can s

Chobani, Bondi Bands, Allergies ...Oh My!

So recently I have had the amazing privilege and joy of trying out a couple of awesome products. I cannot wait to share either! GIVEAWAY TIME! I received a case of Chobani Flips to review...and as we all know yogurt is a staple in most healthy diets...especially mine. I have been a Chobani nut for over a year now. It is one of my favorite and most filling snacks, not to mention the protein ! It is a quick and easy breakfast if needed, or an awesome post-workout snack. And now that it is summertime it is super refreshing on a hot summer day! There were so many yummy types to try...and I could not wait to dig in! There were two of each, so 12 in total! They are fair in calories, low in sugar, and taste great. The day I got the case I did a little jig, and then hunted down a spoon. The first flip I sampled was the Almond Coco Loco ...                           IT WAS DIVINE!!!...and my favorite! Second to that was the Key Lime Crumble ! I have eaten all of them but

Tax (Heart) Break

It's tax season again, and I sat down tonight and began working on my taxes. As I was working through the dependents questions, one hit me right in the heart. The question asks if you had a child die the year before. You don't give that question much thought if you have never been to a child's funeral. That question made me stop and think about how fortunate I am to select no. And how not all of us are quite so lucky. The guilt that ate as me, when I selected no, knowing that a year ago my sister had to select yes. It has been almost a year since Nora was arrested for the 1st Degree murder of my nephew John. If you know us, you know all too well what happened to our baby. If not, you can scan back through several of my other blogs and get a pretty good representation of the nightmare our family has been living in. Photo Courtesy - MichelleRusell.com It's hard to not think about Nora. I have a very vivid imagination, and when I see her face in mugshots I pictur