Skip to main content

First Time Squatting

So yesterday my girlfriend, Chelsey, and I decided to do legs..for real. Not just play with the machines(still did machines though)...but use real weights...free weights! I remember squatting in high school, but that was 5 years ago, and I only did it for one semester because I broke my foot. I have been apprehensive about lifting heavy because I have plantar facisitis, and it likes to flare up when I do heavy lifting.

Anyways, we wandered into the free weight area and looked around like we were a little lost, because we were...and finally settled on the right equipment.
           A little Chelsey history, she was a great weight lifter in high school, competed and everything, so she had an idea where we should be and how we should do it. She is getting married in February...yay!...and is trying to lose some weight before then. She has become my workout buddy, and flunky. And she is doing great!
Back to our session...

We set up with just the bar to start...45 pounds. I went first and she spotted. I have my form down just from free squats using body weight(no longer feel I get anything from them), and adding weight felt really good. After she did her set we added 20 pounds..10 on each side..making it 65 pounds total. Did my set and started to feel it in my inner thighs..more than I have ever felt using the machines. Chelsey did her set...and we added 5 pounds...making it 70 total. I really felt it then...and knew that I had reached my max for the day. I have learned that when I want to do legs...I really need to avoid the treadmill beforehand (did a 5k on 10% incline).

Have to mention here that Chelsey really kicked butt!



We did a few other things...but I was more excited about the squats. It was my first time and I wanted to share! I am sore today..but no more sore than usual..except when I have to use the restroom. Ouch! If you are scared of weight lifting like I was, there is not reason for it..once I did I fell in love! Besides it makes you leaner and more sexy..not to mention I felt like a badass!

I am doing a 5k everyday this week on top of my weight workouts because I am participating in a Virtual 5k, hosted by CrazySexyFitt...you should check it out. It is free and anyone can participate. She has wonderful prizes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings Never Change

It has been almost 2 years since we held you last. The reality hit me like a truck this afternoon... I miss you just as much right now as I did 2 years ago. My body aches to feel you again. To see your smile. To kiss your fat face. They ache just as strongly now as they did 2 years ago. The pain hasn't lessened, the longing hasn't passed...and I still think it is not fair that I can't leave work and pick you up for a fun filled weekend. Time hasn't healed any of our wounds. They still seep with longing, pain, and emptiness. I can still envision the nightmare facing us at the end of the hallway at the hospital. Your tiny frame in a massive bed hooked to so many life saving devices. The incredible high of hearing your heart was beating; they'd revived you. Thinking there was a chance; only to be told that there wasn't. She had hurt you more than they could fix. That incredible low of knowing you wouldn't get to go home with us ever again. I can s

Tax (Heart) Break

It's tax season again, and I sat down tonight and began working on my taxes. As I was working through the dependents questions, one hit me right in the heart. The question asks if you had a child die the year before. You don't give that question much thought if you have never been to a child's funeral. That question made me stop and think about how fortunate I am to select no. And how not all of us are quite so lucky. The guilt that ate as me, when I selected no, knowing that a year ago my sister had to select yes. It has been almost a year since Nora was arrested for the 1st Degree murder of my nephew John. If you know us, you know all too well what happened to our baby. If not, you can scan back through several of my other blogs and get a pretty good representation of the nightmare our family has been living in. Photo Courtesy - MichelleRusell.com It's hard to not think about Nora. I have a very vivid imagination, and when I see her face in mugshots I pictur

One Year Later- No Less Heartache

Every time I have started working on the one year anniversary blog about John's death I back space it away. I just can't put into words what it is I would like to say. So I've decided to just let it all flow freely, and whatever comes out this time, stays...please forgive my rambling... I miss him. So much. You know the saying "you miss them so much it hurts". It's true. I miss him so much it hurts. It has hurt since September 5th 2016. It hurts just as much now as it did then. I know people say time heals, and it will get easier, but it doesn't. I move along in my life, yes, but I find myself stuck in a cold PICU room often. I can literally walk myself down the hall at Monroe Regional in my mind. My dad standing there in the corner of the hospital all alone. My mom puffy eyed from crying, coming out of the double doors. John being pushed through on a gurney to his helicopter flight. So many wires. So many devices being used to keep his frail and broke