Skip to main content

Very First 5k

On Saturday November 3, 2012 I ran my first ever 5k RACE!

Okay, I'm being all dramatic with the bold print, but I have never been so proud of myself! I always though I would like to be a runner, but always thought I would never be able to do it. Well one of my goals during this journey has been becoming a runner. To me a runner is someone who runs in whatever weather, runs to run, runs to renew their attitude, runs to breathe, and you are a runner no matter what pace. If you are going faster than your fastest walking pace, you are a runner in my book!

I love that free feeling I have when I run...that one where the only thing that matters is the constant pitter patter of your feet on the ground and the wind whipping around your face. I do my best thinking, thought sorting, and anger relieving when I run as well! Poor Dustin has learned this the hard way...Mommy needs her daily run!

Anyways, enough banter. On to my first 5k.

I happened onto this 5k: The Paynes Prairie 5k-Benefiting the Friends of Paynes Prairie, by accident. A Facebook friend of mine shared it and I jumped on in. It was a race where the proceeds were going to local benefits for local groups..and I love supporting my community! When I registered I realized I only had 6 weeks to train, but was determined to do it. I walk anywhere from 2-5 miles a day, and I decided to start pushing myself to run parts of it.

The first week I could only run for a minute or two, and had to walk five to catch my breath. I was getting side stitches, and my feet started blistering. So I did a little research *cues Google love song* in to what I could do for all of the above. As it turns out when you are running distance the best thing you can do is run on an almost empty stomach, so have a banana or something light 30 minutes before. Be sure you are plenty hydrated. And dig deep and push! As far as the blisters, that is just a perk of running! I have grown to love them. They are a part of my new life style, and I get a new one each week.

I began pushing myself a little more each day. I literally ran/walked a 5k everyday of the week for six weeks. And it paid off. When I started it took me 58 minutes.

Back to the 5k. I was so excited and nervous. I have never ran and actual race before. I had all of the usual fat girl issues, and assumed everyone else would be stick thin, and wonder why I was there. I could not have been more wrong. There were people of every shape and size, and we were all there for the same reasons; to compete, to have fun, and to support a good cause.

Registration was easy. Walked in, filled out a paper, was given my bib, and instructed where the starting line was. By the way, if it is fall, and you arrive for a race at 7:00 in the morning wear warm gear. I like to froze before we got running. I have saved my bib to be scrap booked.



A few seconds before the start, when we were all waiting on the horn, I glanced down at my heart rate monitor, my heart was going 146 beats per minute I was so anxious to get going. Next thing I know we are all running! Made my personal best of 38:17! And I really got into the competitive spirit. I passed whomever I could whenever I could! I almost got beat by a lady that I had played back and forth with, but I sprinted the last tenth of a mile, and beat her!

 START

 FINISH


Hoo-Rah!

It was amazing, and so much fun. It was so great, I came home and made up a schedule of all the 5ks local for the next six months I am going to participate in. By next summer I am going to reach for my next goal...a half marathon! I know I will do it!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings Never Change

It has been almost 2 years since we held you last. The reality hit me like a truck this afternoon... I miss you just as much right now as I did 2 years ago. My body aches to feel you again. To see your smile. To kiss your fat face. They ache just as strongly now as they did 2 years ago. The pain hasn't lessened, the longing hasn't passed...and I still think it is not fair that I can't leave work and pick you up for a fun filled weekend. Time hasn't healed any of our wounds. They still seep with longing, pain, and emptiness. I can still envision the nightmare facing us at the end of the hallway at the hospital. Your tiny frame in a massive bed hooked to so many life saving devices. The incredible high of hearing your heart was beating; they'd revived you. Thinking there was a chance; only to be told that there wasn't. She had hurt you more than they could fix. That incredible low of knowing you wouldn't get to go home with us ever again. I can s

Tax (Heart) Break

It's tax season again, and I sat down tonight and began working on my taxes. As I was working through the dependents questions, one hit me right in the heart. The question asks if you had a child die the year before. You don't give that question much thought if you have never been to a child's funeral. That question made me stop and think about how fortunate I am to select no. And how not all of us are quite so lucky. The guilt that ate as me, when I selected no, knowing that a year ago my sister had to select yes. It has been almost a year since Nora was arrested for the 1st Degree murder of my nephew John. If you know us, you know all too well what happened to our baby. If not, you can scan back through several of my other blogs and get a pretty good representation of the nightmare our family has been living in. Photo Courtesy - MichelleRusell.com It's hard to not think about Nora. I have a very vivid imagination, and when I see her face in mugshots I pictur

One Year Later- No Less Heartache

Every time I have started working on the one year anniversary blog about John's death I back space it away. I just can't put into words what it is I would like to say. So I've decided to just let it all flow freely, and whatever comes out this time, stays...please forgive my rambling... I miss him. So much. You know the saying "you miss them so much it hurts". It's true. I miss him so much it hurts. It has hurt since September 5th 2016. It hurts just as much now as it did then. I know people say time heals, and it will get easier, but it doesn't. I move along in my life, yes, but I find myself stuck in a cold PICU room often. I can literally walk myself down the hall at Monroe Regional in my mind. My dad standing there in the corner of the hospital all alone. My mom puffy eyed from crying, coming out of the double doors. John being pushed through on a gurney to his helicopter flight. So many wires. So many devices being used to keep his frail and broke